- go to sleep when sleepy, and not any other time
- wake up, with an alarm clock, at the same time every day, including weekends. you get into a solid pattern, and that helps reinforce it.
- when woken, get up NOW, not in a minute. the more thinking time you give yourself, the less likely you are to get up.
- avoid eating or drinking for a few hours before sleep: this tends to wake you up and causes your digestive system to go into real work mode
- avoid listening to audio programmes in bed: sleep seems to be less restful if this happens, and I seem to wake up a lot more in the night
- decent amounts of exercise every day
- when in bed, don’t think about sleep, and don’t worry about getting to sleep early/late and how it will affect you tomorrow.
Sources: Wikipedia, Steve Pavlina, supermemo.com, own experience.